Main Wall Animation and Documentary Making

Submission Two :   Projection Mapping (Background Part) & Documentary  Making

ZHENG WANG (Shana)   s1513579

• videos
  • Inspiration Ideas:

The project is named Environment in (e)motion, the environment be provided with us is located in the Sculpture Court in the Edinburgh College of Art.

There are a number of valuable sculpture collection in the Sculpture Court, because of the long history and the inappropriate protection of the sculptures (some were used inappropriately by teaching activities), some sculptures were damaged by more or less.

So we thought this topic ‘recovery’, a journey of recovery.

The word recovery itself is very abstract.

First we need to recovery what?

It is the wound on body need to be cured. It is the wounded heart need to be cured. It is the ordinary people who experienced suffering need to be cured. At the same time, you and me also need to be cured although we haven’t suffer from illness or sadness. But we still need a relief from the busy life and get a total recovery from the daily life. Maybe this is a journey to find who you are or find the truth of myself.

In this project, we want to recovery these Victorian time sculptures.

After listening to the introduction from curator of Sculpture Court, we learned about the stories behind these sculptures. Most of sculptures embrace a lively and vivid story. Although they just stand there without a word, they express their stories through silence. But in this project, we want to use forms of animation and interaction to inspire visitors to listen their stories (sculptures stories).

In the traditional Chinese culture, the highest excellence is like that of water. The excellence of water appears in its benefiting all things, and in its occupying, without striving, the low place which all men dislike. Hence it is near to the Tao. ( wenda.tianya.cn/question/60fad2631da93cb6 )

Water gives birth to the life and the life originates from water. We chose the oceans (water) as our theme to awaken these sleeping lives in our project.

• Function and Intention:

In this project, I was responsible for the animation part, including designing animation plots, drawing animation sketch and write the storyline of the whole animation.

In the original plan (Submission One), we planned to use only one large projector to project the animation of the main wall an and The Winged Victory of Samothrace. But later, we changed the idea because of technological problems, so our animation was divided into three parts, the first part and also the largest part is the main wall part, the second part is Guals and the third part is Venus de’ Medici part.

Thanks to the clear arrangement of work, our group can finish our personal job effectively.

Overall Storyline of the Animation Part:

• main part – (using a big projector on the 2nd floor and the other projector on the ground floor)

Victoria

aaaaaaa

1. beginning with the darkness
  2. flying into the cloudy sky
  3. starting raining
  4. showing lightning with thunder
  5. the sky turning dark gradually
  6. sky with the sea
  7. going down to the deep sea
  8. water plant with Victory
  9. the Victory was covered by blood
  10. the lighting hit part of the wings
  11. seawater inundated
  12. the plants grow up
  13. fish swimming around the wall (haven’t achieved the effects)
  14. the overall light turn warm
  15. a fish swimming and kissing the swam bleeding sculpture, the wound on the body is gradually healing and her wing becomes full length (haven’t achieved the effects)

墙和天使

• Gauls: ( using a medium size projector in the middle of ground floor)
  1. The base portion: Underwater fizzy (like flare effect)
  2. The heart of the human body begins to flash (red weak beat)
  3. The heart begins bleeding
  4. There is a fish on the base portion swim with a braved light
  5. The small fish swim upstream to the heart of Gauls
  6. The small fish kiss the bleeding heart
  7. The shape of bleeding heart is changing from heart to the shape of Coral and coral systemic spread
  • Venus de’ Medici part: (using a small projector)
  1. The organs of the body exposed, revealing the internal organs
  2. then be cured
  3. Healing Body
  4. The light emittingee
    • Methodology of the animation of background wall

Firstly, I designed a storyline of overall animation and began to make my own part. After discussing with group members, we decided to use After Effects and mad mapper to achieve our animations. To be frankly, each member of group have no background in After Effects before, so everyone need to learn it from zero.

I looked a series basic After Effects tutorials online and try to make the first part of the animation.  I used  Photoshop to edit original material and then loaded them into After Effects to do animation, finally used Adobe Premier and iMovie to do some editing work.

cloudThe is a screenshot a online video I searched for projection mapping before. And I tried to achieve a similar effects in our presentation show.

cloud I used a lot of effects to make the animation, such as Fractal Noise effect, Particle World Effect, CC Color Offset, Color Correction. edit I divided my animation into 8 parts, including the cloud, the raining, the lighting, the sky and sea, sea, sea2 and plant in the sea. I made the eight parts in AE and them used Premier and imoive to edit.

Here is the first part of the animation: cloud.

Here is the last part of my animation: plant in the sea. I used AI do design the originally pattern and edited them in Photoshop. To achieve the the feeling of plant growth in the water, I used Distort effects( CC Rripple Pulse, Displacement Map, Liquify, Ripple, Turbulent Displace)to make it.

flower

At the originally design, I haven’t use a lot of  Distort effects to make this part. But after discussing with our supervisor, Rocio advised me to make this part more relevant into our overall theme and suggested me to make plant waving in the water irregularly. So I made some changes to the animation. Although only some minor changes were made to this part, the overall effect of the show becomes more coherent.

Here is the animation of plant in the sea.

And these two pictures showed the presentation day situation.

zhiqianzhihou

And this is the live performance.

• Project Appraisal  

Overall, our performance achieved a good effects and even myself also was influenced by the atmosphere. Animations, sounds and interaction, the three part cooperate with each other nearly perfectly. Some audience shared their feelings with us and set a high value on our performance. However, we all know that there are still a lot of improvements we can do.

We use two parts to tell our story. But it is a little bit confusing for audience to understand our story. The four part animations are not such coherent and the location of interaction part  is quite unfriendly for visitors to attend (in the east corner of Sculpture Court).  Although we arranged two lying chairs in the middle of Sculpture Court, there are too many people come here ( the numbers of visitors exceeded our expectation) and it is quite crowd to find a place to stand. So it is impossible to sit in chairs.

However, I am still proud of my group members. Because during this project everyone put efforts in it and we all enjoy doing a team work together, we like to share opinions give a help to each other.  It is not just a show.

•  Documentary

In addition to the making of animation part, I was also responsible for the documentary shooting,editing and producing.

We used cameras, video cameras and phones to record every meetings and testings of our group. When I began to make the documentary, I sorted out all the clips and put them into different folds which can help me use them efficiently.  I would like to use this documentary to show our animation, our sound and our interaction part, and each members of our group. Beside, the documentary is divided into five parts: why did we do it? who we are? how did we present?

•  title sequence/ prologue of our documentary

uni logo

Thanks for our supervisor Rocio who gave us valuable suggestions and help.

reference:

www.flickr.com/photos/ewaldmario/galleries/72157647673722797/with/20115948763/#photo_20115948763

www.youtube.com/watch?v=gy_jyxoWj5c&list=PLP0qdu9Ums9zBZF1ji_o8q4lQ9hvtRGna&index=2

www.youtube.com/watch?v=FphbQjA-3aI&list=PLP0qdu9Ums9zBZF1ji_o8q4lQ9hvtRGna&index=11

www.youtube.com/watch?v=bl3ZwPV1pm8&list=PLP0qdu9Ums9zBZF1ji_o8q4lQ9hvtRGna&index=16

www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL9rnDcgHTOxjmyYWbIVcrQEkjrhQUByND

wenda.tianya.cn/question/60fad2631da93cb6