Animation for Venus de’ Medici

I chose Venus de’ Medici as the projected sculpture. And the video below shows the testing result of my animation.

Ideas

Recovery is the theme of our project and water is the key element we need to make use of, so I was thinking about to combine the cast with water in a digital way to illustrate the process of recovery. As we know, water plays a strong role in our life physically and mentally. I was inspired a lot by the concept of water in terms of life and death. For many religions, pure water is often a important component for birth rituals and death rituals.

From the perspective of physiology, water is the major component for living animals. In some organisms, up to 90% of their body weight comes from water, moreover, up to 60% of the human adult body is water. As our theme is related to recovery and water, I imagined the cast had the same inside organs like human beings. So that I decided to make an animation showing the water flowing inside the body of Venus like the water flowing in a river. And the water will finally recall her body by gradually spreading in the circulatory system.

Methodologies

I used Adobe After Effect and Photoshop to make the animation.

Firstly, I referred to the circulatory system of human body (in the picture below) and the body of Venus de’ Medici, drew several blood vessels in Photoshop and exported in PNG format. I divided the vessels into different part, and put them in different layers in Photoshop as well.

artery

the circulatory system of human body

I imported all of the PNG pictures into After Effect as individual layers. Then I used the WarpoMatic and set the key frames in different value to make the beating of heart and the sway of seaweeds. I also used Line Sweep for the flowing water and spreading blood vessels.

屏幕快照 2016-04-19 下午11.31.33

Using WarpoMatic for beating heart and swaying seaweed

屏幕快照 2016-04-19 下午11.46.48

Using Line Sweep for flowing water and blood vessels

The whole statue is almost in dark at the beginning, and it appeared at the last seconds. The appearance of the statue is kind of final recovery of Venus, and final result in real site is like the pictures below.

屏幕快照 2016-04-19 下午11.51.44

The statue is in dark in animation.

屏幕快照 2016-04-19 下午11.52.44

The statue appears in animation.

屏幕快照 2016-04-20 上午1.28.52

The Result of statue in dark.

屏幕快照 2016-04-20 上午1.26.18

The Result of statue appearing.

To achieve these effects, I used Block Dissolve, together with Light Burst. I set the Transition Percentage at 95% at the beginning, and decreased it to 10% at the end. The use of Light Burst is for lightening the outlines of Venus to make her shadow look better in dark environment.

屏幕快照 2016-04-20 上午1.55.50

The Light Burst setting

屏幕快照 2016-04-20 上午1.56.09

The Block Dissolve setting

In order to make the animation match the sculpture well, I used Madmapper to adjust my animation. Firstly, I set the position of my projector and sculpture (step 1). Then I took a picture of the sculpture at the same angel with the projector (step 2). I used the picture I took as the background (first layer) in Madmapper (step 3), and inserted the animation to second layer. Then I subdivided the animation, and controlled the typical points to make it map the sculpture (step 4).

liuchen

The Mapping Methods.

Improvements
The video below shows the first version of the animation for Venus de’ Medici. It is about 30 seconds long. As you seen, the colour saturation is not strong enough, so that the heart beating is not clear enough in the animation. Moreover, the water is growing up too fast, and the same problem in blood vessels’ spreading. Our supervisor, Rocio mentioned these problems, and I revised them. The second video is the final version, and I make it for about 50 seconds long.

References

1. sites.google.com/a/fsh.echalk.com/the-human-body2/home/circulatory-system
  2. uoeartandarchives.tumblr.com/image/89637996577