Submission Two : Main Sculpture Animation and Graphic Design
Bei Ye (s1533624)
After group discussion, I took responsibility of the animation projection of main sculpture The Winged Victory of Samothrace. Firstly, I designed the story line of the animation. Before that, I did some research of The Winged Victory of Samothrace. I was impressed by the carving skill of the long chiton that falls in folds to her feet. So to make the Victoria come alive, the first thing I did is trying to ‘recovery’ her cloth.
Regarding the animation, the basic idea is to perfectly integrate the physical sculpture and the digital images, as to show audience the recovery process and let audience immersed in the show and the whole environment.
I looked several tutorials online to learn the After Effect from zero. After watching those online resources, I had a rough idea of what I can achieve about the story. To make the progress more efficient as a AE beginner, I choose to finished the animation in AE by importing the PSD file created in Photoshop.
I mainly used three technics.
In the beginning, the Victoria (The Winged Victory of Samothrace) shows up like bubbles gathering together. I used the Lume Matte Effect to achieve this result. In the original solid layer, the white bubbles’ birth rate is increasing and finally the white area occupies the full screen. By applying the Lume Matte effect on Victoria’s layer, the result becomes that the black mask on Victoria gradually disappeared.
I also used the Fractal Noise effect to create the reflection of waves on the sculpture.
I changed the fractal type to swirly and the noise type to soft linear, so the layer looks more similar to the shape of ripple. Then I let it become animated by setting different ‘evolution’ key frames on the timeline. The last step, I use pre-compose to move all attributes into the new composition, and change the mode to ‘divide’ in the main composition and adjusted its opacity.
Another key effect I used is Particle World Effect. The feathers’ animation is achieved by using this effect. Firstly, I imported three layer of different shapes of feathers and let them shows individually in different time periods, by doing this, the shape of feather will have more variety in the final result. I named this composition ‘feather’. Secondly, in the Particle Effect Control panel, I changed the particle type to ‘Textured TriPolygon’, and select the ‘feather’to be the texture layer. Thirdly, I adjusted the ‘Hold Particle Release’ property to let the feathers stay on the position of the wing, so the effect will look like Victoria’s wing is growing. The last step is using Time displacement effect to reverse the Particle layer, so the feathers will start flying from the bottom.
Besides, I also used the CC Color Offset effect to change the color the the cloth after listening to the advice of our supervisor.
In addition, I used CC Star Burst effect and adjust the opacity property of some PSD layers on the timeline.
- Projector Mapping
Regarding the projecting mapping part, we all used Mad Mapper to map our projection. Firstly, I found the right site to put the projector. Then I took a picture of the main sculpture right from the projector’s site. I imported both this picture and the animation video in Mad Mapper. After that I matched the two layers by changing the opacity of the video layer (the top layer) as well as moving and scaling. Besides, I created some masks following the edges to avoid the projector’s lighting leaks on to the back wall of the sculpture.
When testing the projection in the real environment, I adjusted every point of the video to let every detail of the virtual Victoria match with the physical one.
Finally, I adjusted the projector’s RGB color to let it project my work in the best way.
- Project Appraisal
In general, I think my work has reached some of my expectation. The final result looks quite good, I can feel my emotion influenced by the whole environment and the show, also I got lots of positive feedbacks from my audiences. However, there are still lots of drawbacks and limitations.
On the first place, I think the animation I did still can have more creativeness and Variability. This drawback partly because I chose Victoria’s cloth to be the main attraction in the animation， but the shape of the cloth is fixed regarding the physical carving . Also, behind the main sculpture there is no wall, so I can’t take use of the shadow of the sculpture neither the place out side Victoria’s body.
In the final presentation, the projector also occurs some problems like it leaked blue light when projecting nothing, so I have to cover the lens before my animation starts. And the whole result of our presentation shows our animation content lack of connection with each other.
Nevertheless, it was a wonderful experience and project. It was my first time participated in organizing and designing a live show. I got lots of useful knowledge about working as a team, conducting an exhibition as well as feeling the close connection between emotion and environment when immersing in a live show.
- Final Results
- Other Contribution to the Project
- Logo Animation
- Feathers [Online images]. Available from:<ps.luluzy.com/news/ps_psdsc_sj/201504/80631.html >%5BAccessed 20 April 2016].
- Boat [Online image]. Available from: <www.xinli001.com/oxygen/54783910/> [Accessed 13th February 2016].
- Blood brushes [Online]. Available from: <brushes8.com/27615.html> [Accessed 13th February 2016].
- Wing [Online image]. Available from: <bbs.duowan.com/thread-19572158-1-1.html> [Accessed 13th February 2016].