3D Modeling and Animation

After several meetings and discussions, we decided to use “Recovery” as the main concept of our project, and intended to visualise the ocean environment to deliver our concept. Particularly, we are going to apply sound, animation and interactive equipment to our site.

Current Work

So far, we have a 3D environment and an animation for the main projected wall.

The main projected wall

The main projected wall

3D Animation

Firstly, we would like to attract the visitors’ attention to our main projected wall. So we would like to do a 3D light show on the wall. Here I attached the animation I have created so far.

I used Blender for 3D modeling. Particularly, I applied a modern hologram texture in Cycles render for the pillars to make a better light effect.

The texture nodes and key frames for the animation

Here I attached a picture of the test result. As we are still learning projection mapping by Madmapper, we can only map a picture on the wall now. We will keep studying in the following weeks before presentation.

The test result of one frame of 3D animation

When I was creating the animation and 3D view, I always asked myself “how can I create environments in which people can get immersed and how can I connect the (e)motion with the environment”? Then, the theory of Relative Motion came into my mind. Basically, I moved the shining pillars and arches to make visitors feel like they are walking into the main arch and watching the scene inside, which is the 3D environment of the ocean.

3D Environment of the undersea

According to our project brief, we need to combine environments and motion with media and digital technologies to create an augmented environment (live event, installation). So I started to think about “What elements related to ocean can I use to augment sensorial experiences in the specific site?” Because we wanted to visualise how the Winged Victory was buried under the Aegean Sea, I chose the seaweed and sand ground to create an undersea view. To make the scene more real, I referred to a video tutorial by EnigmaToots to do the glowing sand ground and the reflective sea surface.

The texture nodes and key frames for the 3D environment

I used the cloth modifier for the seaweed, so that they are actually swaying once I rendered out the animation. To be more immersive, the whole animated scene will be accompanied with sound effect in the future.

The undersea view

The undersea view

Projecting the undersea scene

Projecting the undersea scene

Further development

Animation: Making more animation with different elements for the main projected wall.

Mapping: Learning the mapping method and testing it in the sculpture court.

Sound: Attaching the sound effect to the animation of the pillars, and try to make a deep sea sound for the animation.

References

EnigmaToots, 2014, Creating Underwater Scenes In Cycles, Online available at: www.youtube.com/watch?v=yq0y8J59GJs (accessed 12th February, 2016).